Qasem Alsaleh (Consultant)
Magdi Fathalla (Registrar)
| Psoriasis clinic has started on November 1999. Patients that are
usually followed in this clinic include these cases:
1) Severe psoriasis whether generalized plaque psoriasis, erythrodermic or pustular psoriasis who need rapid clearance of the disease.
2) Moderately severe psoriasis not responding to PUVA or UVB.
3) Palmoplantar psoriasis not responding to conventional therapy.
The treatment protocol is tailored to each patient but in general. We have the following systemic treatment options (apart from photo-therapy):
1) Sequential therapy, using Neoral (cyclosporine) 5 mg/Kg/day for 1 month followed by addition of Neotigasone 25-50 mg/day. Neoral is then withdrawn gradually over the next 6-7 months while Neotigasone is maintained, either alone or in combination with PUVA or topical therapy.
2) Methotrexate : is given either by oral or intramuscular route as weekly doses.
3) Newer therapies are also used whenever indicated including Mycophenolate mofetil and new biologicals including etanercept, alefacept, ramikade, and adalimumab.
Translate page on-line: French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish